Thursday, January 03, 2008

The Sifting


Mike purchased a bag of flour for 800 Kwacha, which is about $5.50. The flour was full of pests. Too expensive to throw away, and with no guarantee that any other bag would be any better, we decided we needed to remove the bugs.

The first step in the process was to freeze the flour to kill the bugs. Straining them just proved that the pests fit right through the holes! A few trial and error methods later, the tea strainer seemed to work most effectively.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm, a little extra protein?
This really highlights the things we take for granted in this country. You guys remind me to be grateful for the simple things I encounter in my everyday life. Thanks for being there and doing the work that you are doing, and for sharing your experience with all of us here in the States.
Love you,
Shelley

Anonymous said...

Billy would feel right at home eating the bugs.

Mom

Anonymous said...

Oh my.....straining out the pests?!? What fun! Wonder if Lauren had any similar experiences when she was in Africa? :)

The Texas trip was FABULOUS!!! And...Lauren & Stephen won The Dip Off - thanks to you, Michelle!! We have some great pics I'll be happy to share when you return!!

I have been praying for you every day. (Ask me about my new prayer room when you return home!)

Continue to shower Malawi with God's love!!

Love to you both!

Jean Ann & John

Stephanie said...

That is so gross.... it reminds me of the expired Quaker Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies!!! So GROSS!!

Anonymous said...

Not trying to be gross, but can't the beetles be eaten in it? Like Shelley said, a little extra protein. When you cook it, it'll cook all the bad stuff out, huh? Love ya.

Billy